This Oven Roasted Drumsticks recipe uses pantry staples to make a quick marinade. Then roasts up in the oven in about an hour, for a delicious main dish perfect for any day of the week. I make these often because they are so easy to pull together and the kids really love them. Plus the smell of the chicken roasting in the oven is drool worthy. Feel free to swap the drumsticks for chicken thighs if that’s your preference.
Getting the chicken thighs ready takes a little bit of time to just pull the ingredients from the pantry and mix them together. Here I have granulated garlic, onion powder, ground ginger, paprika, ground cinnamon, all spice and of course salt and pepper. These are spices I always have on hand. Just top the dried spices off with some ketchup (be sure it is compliant if you are doing Whole30), some spicy brown mustard and little bit of coconut amino or cooking sauce (like The New Primal’s Citrus Herb Cooking Sauce and we are in business. This chicken is best when it marinates overnight but let’s be honest I don’t always have time for that. Sometimes it is 5 pm and I need to get dinner started. So I grab my pantry staples, mix it all up, sprinkle over the chicken. Add the other ingredients. Put the chicken in a skillet and stick it in the oven. And it works every time. The chicken is still flavorful and enjoyed by all!
Roasting the Drumsticks
I love roasting the chicken on high heat (450 °F) for 30 minutes uncovered. Then turning the drumsticks over, basting and roasting for another 30 minutes.
Of course you can keep it roasting on the same side for the entire cooking time, but the underside of the drumsticks will not have the rich brown color of the top of the thighs. My children love grabbing their chicken thighs (caveman style) and biting into it and I can’t imagine what their reaction would be if the chicken thighs didn’t look the same at every angle. I admit, they are a little spoiled with my cooking.
After basting with the pan juices (using a turkey/poultry baster), I continue to roast the chicken for another 30 minutes and then the chicken is ready. How easy is that. Season, stick in the oven, baste half way, bake some more and done!
The Oven Roasted Drumsticks Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon all spice (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Spicy Brown Mustard
- ¼ cup Ketchup (Whole30 Compliant if you are on a round)
- ¼ Coconut Aminos or cooking sauce
- Place drumsticks in a large bowl
- Combine all the dried spices in a small bowl then mix together well
- Liberally sprinkle over the drumsticks
- Then add the ketchup, spicy brown mustard and coconut aminos or cooking sauce
- Next mix together well ensuring that the marinade is evenly distributes over all of the drumsticks
- Let marinate for at least 30 minutes (if you have time)
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Add chicken to a baking dish suitable for high temperature baking, like a cast iron skillet
- Next place chicken on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 30 minutes
- Then flip drumsticks over (using tongs) and base with a turkey/poultry baster
- Continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes, then baste again and remove from the oven
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving