Bora (Chinese Long Bean) & Sweet Potatoes is the simple vegetable side dish that you need to make today! It is made in the Instant Pot, which makes dinner prep a breeze. Using the Instant Pot cuts down cooking time without sacrificing any of the flavor. One of the benefits of using an Instant Pot, besides the time is that it allows you to set it and forget it, allowing time to focus on other things while your food cooks. Don’t own an Instant Pot, get one HERE.
Easy Prep, Easy Cooking
Prepping the Chinese long bean (bora/bodi) is quite easy. Simply remove the tops and the tips, then cut into 1 inch or smaller pieces. I like to remove the tops and tips from a bunch of bora, then put them all together on a cutting board and cut into my desired length. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and soak in some water until ready to cook. This prevents the sweet potatoes from drying out or turning black.
Everything into the Instant Pot
When I said that this recipe was quick and easy, I wasn’t kidding. All of the ingredients go into the instant pot, sealed up and pressure cooks for 20 minutes. I don’t like my sweet potatoes to be too mushy so I add those in later and pressure cook for another 5 minutes. If you’ve ever cooked bora/bodi on the stove top you know that it can take quite some time to cook to a tender texture. Using the instant pot cuts down the cooking time without sacrificing the taste or integrity of this dish.
Make it your own
You can always remix my recipes to make them your own!
- Don’t have white sweet potatoes? Use regular white potatoes instead. Russet potatoes or red potatoes work really well. I’ve even made this using petite roasting potatoes
- Want to add a protein? Try these:
- I love adding shrimp to this dish. Shrimp seasoned with a few pantry staples then pan fried and added in at the end is magnificent in this dish
- Serve it with a side of fried fish, like my Crispy Salmon Nuggets
- Sauté some chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs just before adding the bora for a chicken and bora stew
- Or add some stew beef or lamb chunks
Save it for later
The Printable Instant Pot Bora and Sweet Potatoes
- 2 bundles or about 4 cups of Bora / Bodi / Chinese Long Bean (prepped and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (or other oil suitable for cooking)
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped (I used two large vine ripened tomatoes)
- ¼ cup of coconut aminos (can substitute with 1 tablespoon of cassareep or 2 tablespoons of soy sauce)
- ½ teaspoon of spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon of salt or salt to taste
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or more for heat (optional)
- Turn Instant Pot on using the Sauté button, when the display indicates that the Instant Pot is hot add the coconut oil and bring up to temperature
- Then add the onions, tomatoes and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until the tomatoes are soft
- Next add the salt, pinch of pepper, mustard and coconut aminos, followed by the bora and sweet potatoes
- Mix together well then press cancel to take the Instant Pot out of sauté mode
- Then seal up the instant pot and pressure cook on high for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes release the steam, then mix together well, being careful not to smush the sweet potatoes
- Allow to rest for a few minutes so that the juices can come together before serving
- Alternatively you may do a natural release which takes about 15 minutes and your bora and sweet potatoes will be perfect when ready to serve.
Please note that my tomatoes were really juicy and I didn't need to add any additional water to my recipe, however if your tomatoes are not as juicy you may need to add ¼ cup of water before pressure cooking
If after pressure cooking there is just too much liquids to your liking, put your Instant pot back on Sauté and allow the liquids to cook down to the desired consistency.
Some other recipes to try:
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains Affiliate Links. This means that if you click on a link and complete a purchase I earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This does not affect my opinion about the products shared in anyway. These are truly my favorite products to use, with or without the commission. Thank you for checking out my post.