Steak and Veggies Stir Fry, is a a quick and versatile recipe. Tender steak, any combination of crisp veggies and some Teriyaki sauce tossed together at high heat, for a delicious meal that is sure to be a crow please.
This dish is similar to Caribbean Pepper Steak, but the addition of more vegetables (besides bell peppers) amps up the flavor and the nutritional content. Feel free to use any combination of vegetables you have on hand. This is also a great clean your fridge out dish, because you can add all of the random bits of vegetable you need to cook before garbage day.
The main ingredients in this recipe are:
- Steak (I used rib eye, but you can use flank, sirloin or round steak)
- Teriyaki Sauce (I used The New Primal Soy Free Teriyaki)
- Bell Peppers (Any color combination)
- Green Onions
- Any combination of vegetables, I used:
- Baby Bok Choy
See recipe card below for additional ingredients and measurements
This recipe is very versatile and substitutions are welcome.
Steak: You may substitute the ribeye for flank, sirloin or round steak. Be careful not to overcook these cuts of meat as they will toughen.
However, any whole30 compatible teriyaki sauce will work. Or if you have coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar and some ginger powder you can combine these with some arrow root starch to make a quick teriyaki sauce.
For that you will need ¼ cup of coconut aminos, 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon of ground ginger and 1 teaspoon of arrow root flour/starch/powder. Mix together and you have your homemade Whole30 teriyaki sauce.
Veggies: Any combination of vegetables that you typically add to a stir fry works here. You may even add zucchini and Chinese eggplant. Be sure to stir fry the veggies first before cooking the steak.
Step by Step Recipe
Slice steak into 2 inch strips that are between ⅛ inch to ¼ inch thick. If you decide to make your strips ⅛ inch or ¼ inch thick, be sure to make all of the slices consistently thick so that it cooks evenly
Lightly season beef and set aside while you prep your veggies.
Cut all of your veggies into similar sizes for even cooking.
If using baby bok choy, give those a rough chop as they will melt away if chopped into small pieces.
Once you've cooked all the veggies to your desired doneness, remove from the pan. I like my veggies cooked but with a little bit of a crunch.
Then add steak to the pan in a single layer
Cook until all sides are brown, but be careful not to overcook. I like my steak to be medium before adding the veggies back in, as it will cook some more after the veggies are returned to the pan.
Then add the teriyaki sauce, followed by the green onions and then the sautéed veggies and stir fry for a minute.
That's it. You are done. Serve it up with some toasted cauliflower rice or mashed potatoes, or simply eat as is!
Printable Recipe Card
Steak and Veggies Stir Fry
- 1 ½ lbs Steak I used ribeye but flank, sirloin and round works
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or similar
- 4 Cloves Garlic sliced
- 4 Green onions sliced diagonally
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon iodized sea salt or salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of coarse black pepper
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce Whole30 Compatible
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 1 green bell pepper julienned
- 2 Small carrots sliced
- 2 Baby Bok Choy chopped
- 1 Cup Asparagus Chopped, About 6 asparaguses
- Cut steak into 2 inch strips about ⅛ inch thick, then season with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and black pepper. Mix together well and set aside
- Bring a wok or skillet up to temperature on high heat, then add oil, followed by the garlic. Sauté garlic for about a minute then add veggies in the order of toughest to cook first, and sauté until veggies are tender but still has a crunch
- I cook the mushrooms, carrots and asparagus first, then the peppers and the baby bok choy
- Remove all of vegetables from the pan, add another tablespoon of oil if needed, then add the seasoned steak in a single layer (you can do this in batches if necessary)
- Cook steak on for two to three minutes then toss and continue to cook for another minute or two or until all sides of the steak is brown, then add the teriyaki sauce and cook for another minute
- Next add the green onions, followed by all of the sauté veggies, toss together and until fully combined, then remove from the heat
- Serve hot