This instant pot cook-up rice recipe takes all of the labor out of the traditional stove top recipe but keeps all of the flavor. I love cook-up rice. It's one of my favorite comfort foods. In fact, it is one of the first recipes I shared when I started metemgee.com. However, as a busy mom of three I don't always have time to make cook-up rice the traditional way, so I've created this instant pot recipe.
- Dried Black Eyed Peas
- Coconut milk
- Jasmine Rice
- Asian Basil
- Green Seasoning
- Brown Sugar
- Cassareep (optional for color)
See recipe card for exact measurements.
Cooking with an Instant Pot
Making cook up rice in the Instant Pot takes away the guess work of trying to figure out how much time to cook it and at what temperature. It is also quick and easy, especially with tough cuts of meat. There is no burning or sticking. This Instant Pot Cook up rice recipe is guaranteed to change the way you make cook up rice! If you don't already have an instant pot and want to get one, check out my affiliate link here (this is an amazon affiliate link so I get a small amount money if you buy your through this link but it doesn't cost you anything). Seriously though if you don't have an instant pot what are you waiting for?
Step by Step Video Tutorial:
Make the recipe your own!
Use this Instant Pot Cook-Up rice as the base for other versions of cook up rice. Swap out the type of peas and meats as you like. You may also use cook-up rice seasoning! Get it from the amazon by clicking here. I love the flavor cook up rice seasoning adds without having to buy a lot of different spices. Add 1 tablespoon of this instead of salt and other spices to your meat and then another tablespoon to your instant pot when making your cook-up and it is like magic. Perfect flavor profile every time.
Printable Recipe Card
Instant Pot Cook-Up Rice
- 1 ½ lbs of chuck roast cut into ½ inch cubes or stew beef
- 1 ½ cups of dried black eye peas washed
- 2 small carrots or 1 large carrot diced into small cubes
- 2 cups of washed jasmine rice
- 4 cups of freshly made coconut milk or 1 cup of canned coconut milk plus 3 cups of water
- 1 small yellow onions fined chopped
- 2 bunches of Asian Basil
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 whole wiri wiri pepper or 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 4 tablespoons of green seasoning:
- ½ cup of cilantro
- 2 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 4 heads of green onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 wiri wiri pepper seeds removed
- Make the green seasoning by combing cilantro, thyme, green onions, garlic and wiri wiri pepper (seeds removed) into the base of a food processor or blender cup. Blend until it forms a smooth paste. Then set aside
- Season beef with green seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and set aside
- Put Instant pot on Sauté, When hot add oil and then brown sugar to the bowl
- Let brown sugar cook until it caramelizes and gets to a dark brown color. This make take a while depending on how hot your instant pot gets
- Add chopped onions and cook until onions are soft
- Next add the seasoned beef and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes stirring often allowing beef to brown on all sides.
- Once the beef browns add the carrots, black eyed peas, washed rice and coconut milk
- Then add the remaining salt and pepper, the whole wiri wiri pepper and the Asian basil
- Finally put the lid on the instant pot, seal and pressure cook on high for 25 minutes
- When the instant pot has finished cooking, release the steam following the instructions in the Instant pot manual.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve warm