As we are nearing the end of the year I thought it only fitting that I share with you my Instant Pot Cook Up Rice recipe. I love cook-up. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods. In fact, it is one of the first recipes I shared when I started my blog. Check out my stove top cook-up rice recipe here and check out my three bean vegetarian cook-up rice here.
Cooking with an Instant Pot
Making cook up rice in the Instant Pot takes away the guess work of trying to figure out how much time to cook it and at what temperature. It is also super quick and easy, especially with tough cuts of meat. There is also no burning or sticking. This Instant Pot Cook up rice recipe is guaranteed to change the way you make cook up rice! If you don’t already have an instant pot and want to get one, check out my link here (this is an amazon affiliate link so I get a small amount money if you buy your through this link but it doesn’t cost you anything). Seriously though if you don’t have an instant pot what are you waiting for? Here are some other Instant Pot Recipes I’ve posted: Chicken Foot Souse, Instant Pot Beef Curry and Instant Pot Pepper Pot. More Instant recipes coming in 2020
The Youtube Video:
Make the recipe your own!
Use this Instant Pot Cook-Up rice as the base for other versions of cook up rice. Swap out the type of peas and meats as you like. You may also use cook-up rice seasoning! Get it from the amazon by clicking here. I love the flavor cook up rice seasoning adds without having to buy a lot of different spices. Add 1 tablespoon of this instead of salt and other spices to your meat and then another tablespoon to your instant pot when making your cook-up and it is like magic. Perfect flavor profile every time.
The Instant Pot Cook Up Rice Recipe:
- 1½ lbs of chuck roast cut into ½ inch cubes or stew beef
- 1½ cups of dried black eye peas, washed
- 2 small carrots or 1 large carrot diced into small cubes
- 2 cups of washed jasmine rice
- 4 cups of coconut milk
- 1 small yellow onions, fined chopped
- 2 bunches of Asian Basil
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1 whole wiri wiri pepper or 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 4 tablespoons of green seasoning:
- ½ cup of cilantro
- 2 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 4 heads of green onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 wiri wiri pepper (seeds removed)
- Make the green seasoning by combing cilantro, thyme, green onions, garlic and wiri wiri pepper (seeds removed) into the base of a food processor or blender cup. Blend until it forms a smooth paste. Then set aside
- Season beef with green seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and set aside
- Put Instant pot on Sauté, When hot add oil and then brown sugar to the bowl
- Let brown sugar cook until it caramelizes and gets to a dark brown color. This make take a while depending on how hot your instant pot gets
- Add chopped onions and cook until onions are soft
- Next add the seasoned beef and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes stirring often allowing beef to brown on all sides.
- Once the beef browns add the carrots, black eyed peas, washed rice and coconut milk
- Then add the remaining salt and pepper, the whole wiri wiri pepper and the Asian basil
- Finally put the lid on the instant pot, seal and pressure cook on high for 25 minutes
- When the instant pot has finished cooking, release the steam following the instructions in the Instant pot manual.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve warm