You’ve requested it and here it is… a tutorial for roti making. Roti is a Guyanese flat bread with Indian influences. It is a simple paratha with flour, shortening of some form, baking powder and oil. It is a staple in most Guyanese households and go well with curries or anything you want to eat it with. Seriously, I’ve had mine with peanut butter. Making roti takes time. You will need at least 1 hour. This video is 20 minutes long… I know. But here’s the thing, it repeats a lot of the process for those who might not get the hang of it right away. The video also has no audio. I tried doing the voice over, but it doesn’t work with a 7 month old constantly vocalizing in the background. So put on your favorite music and watch the video!

Enjoy… I’m having my roti with some dahl and ockra/o and chicken.

Roti with dahl and ockra and chicken

Paratha (oil) Roti

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A flaky Guyanese flat bread.
Author:
Recipe type: Bread
Cuisine: Guyanese
Serves: 3
Ingredients
  • Dough:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp shortening (lard, ghee, vegetable shortening, butter)
  • 1 cup water
  • Oil and Butter Baste:
  • 2 tbsp butter/margarine/butter substitute
  • ½ cup olive oil
Instructions
  1. Combine flour, baking powder and shortening in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Mix together until shortening is blended into the flour.
  3. Form a well in the center of the ingredients. Add water and knead together to form a soft dough.
  4. Cover dough with a damp paper towel to prevent the top from crusting and let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
  5. After dough has sat for at least 30 mins, separate dough into 3 equal pieces.
  6. Oiling off the roti:
  7. Using a rolling pin, roll a piece of the separated dough into a large thin disk (similar to a large tortilla).
  8. Add about 1 tbsp of oil and butter baste to the rolled out dough (see end for directions for making baste).
  9. Using a knife make an incision from the center to one end of the dough, and roll dough to form a cone.
  10. Tuck ends into bottom of cone and push cone tip into the base.
  11. Repeat for other two pieces of dough. Let sit for another 30 minutes.
  12. Reserve remaining oil and butter baste for cooking the roti.
  13. Combine 2 tbsp butter / margarine / butter substitute and ½ cup olive/vegetable oil in a small mixing bowl. Microwave until butter has melted (about 30 seconds).
  14. Mix together melted butter and oil. Use to baste roti.
  15. Preheat a large skillet / tawah (traditional cast iron skillet for roti) on medium heat.
  16. Roll out one oiled off roti into a large thin disk, about ⅛ inch thickness (like a large tortilla).
  17. Place roti on the warm skillet or tawah. Cook until tiny bubbles / air pockets appear on the top of the roti.
  18. Flip and baste with the remaining butter and oil baste.
  19. Cook for about 1 minute (for as long as it will take to apply the baste).
  20. Flip again and apply baste to the other side. Cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
  21. Then remove from heat.
  22. Clap roti (if you have those skills) or put roti in a covered bowl and shake to separate the layers and release the air pockets (see video for how to).
Notes
1. Roti takes time. If you try to rush it you will end up with a not so flaky dough.
2. Don't let dough sit for more than 1 hour in the first stage or it will get dry and crusty.
3. Roti is fattening. There is no way around it if you want great roti.
4. You can substitute 1 cup flour for 1 cup whole wheat flour.
5. Traditionally roti is cooked on a tawah. I have a tawah, but found a really great cast iron skillet that is flat and more reliable than my tawah, so I prefer to use that.

58 Comments

1. Ayana February 21, 2013 at 3:44 am

Hmm that plate looks delightful thank goodness I’m just finishing lunch lol

2. schadah February 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Omg. Thank u so much for ths. I didn’t get to respond to u as i was im the hospital for a bit. but thanks for the email link. I am so loving this roti. It looks amazing. I hate m,ing roti cz it gets stiff after the first day. But I will try that as soon as I get up and about.

1. Metemgee February 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm

No prob. Be sure to drop a note and let me know how the food comes out. Happy cooking and sorry to hear that you were in the hospital.

2. donnamangal September 2, 2013 at 11:17 am

The water must be as hot as you can tolerate ( not boiling) it when mixing and kneading the dough.. Big difference in roti making! I had the same problem with the stiffness until I started using hot water! Also.. When you use the paper towel that should also be warm.. Hope this helps

3. Alesia May 29, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Am trying this tonight. As a child I always helped my grandmother with this, but have never made it myself haha this will be quite the trial! Thanks for the video.

1. Metemgee June 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

Glad you liked it. How did the roti come out?

1. donnamangal September 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

I love your recipes.. I tried almost everything for the first time and it turned out great! Thank so much!

1. Metemgee September 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I’m glad you liked them and I love you for trying them!

4. Monell August 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

S.O.S…… Miss metemgee I need help making the roti I attempted twice I suck, can’t seem to get a soft dough in stage one. The dough is too hard wont roll out… I followed every step to exact is it the temperature of the water, the type of flour….. Please Help!

1. Metemgee August 10, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Hi there. Try adding a bit more water. Flour is a tricky medium to work with sometimes depending on how moist or dry the air is you may need less or more water. Add some more water when making the dough to get it soft. Then let it sit for an hour before rolling it out and “oiling it off.” Let me know if this works. Btw I’m using gold medal all purpose flour.

1. Metemgee September 6, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Believe it or not I’m just using my iPad and natural light!

5. Ronla September 28, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Love your blog!! It brings back so many memories of growing up at home and experiencing my family in the kitchen. Nice to know a fellow Bishops’ girl is spreading the joy of Guyanese cooking! Just to share a quick tip my dad taught me about roti: finger all the ingredients together instead of kneading and it’ll be even lighter and softer. Thanks again for your recipes and stories.

1. Metemgee October 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Many thanks for your kind words.

6. Kelly October 26, 2013 at 3:04 am

I can’t use baking powder. Is there an alternative or can I leave it out?

1. Metemgee December 9, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Not sure. You can’t leave it out. Yeast might make it too doughy but you need a leavening agent. I’ll ask astound see if anyone tried anything else.

7. Pingback: Meal 73: Guyana : United Noshes

8. Michelle Proctor January 4, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Trying this for dinner tonight along with your Curry Chicken….super excited…Thank you so much for the video and the recipes…if haven’t mentioned it yet I AM SOOO EXCITED!!!!!

1. Metemgee January 5, 2014 at 2:53 am

Yay! Let me know how it comes out! I’m super excited too. Haha

1. Michelle January 8, 2014 at 12:20 am

It turned out Amazing …my family loved it…cant wait to try more of your recipes ..i know they will be great…this one is becoming a staple in our family now..thanks again

1. Metemgee January 8, 2014 at 3:49 am

Glad it came out great! Happy cooking!

9. Karen January 13, 2014 at 2:14 am

Had a baking weekend, tennis rolls and roti. The roti actually came out well, they were eaten on the day and tasted good the following day as well, (which you know is the sign of a good roti) I am so pleased with that thank you

10. Angela January 31, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Could you correct the recipe re the baking powder, please. You have 2 tps baking powder, when you meant 2 tsps. of baking powder. I almost put in too much baking powder. Thanks.

1. Metemgee January 31, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for catching that. Will do. Apparently I was sleeping when I proof read this cause I forgot cup for 1/2 cup oil. Aye.

11. Eva Taylor February 12, 2014 at 11:48 am

I made your roti recipe the other day and it turned out WONDERFUL! The tutorial was very helpful and the oiling off rolling instructions were excellent. Our roti turned out flaky and chewy! Thanks for posting it. I’ll be blogging about it on March 2, I’d love it if you popped by and commented.

1. Metemgee February 23, 2014 at 12:25 am

Happy to hear that it turned out great. Thanks for trying my recipe.

12. Pingback: West Indian Rôti flatbread | Kitcheninspirations

13. Pingback: Roti | Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide

1. Metemgee March 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for sharing my recipe. Glad you were able to make it your own!

14. Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 3:10 am

Came over here via Greg’s blog – what a wonderful tutorial, I’ll definitely be giving these a go!

15. nad March 26, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Can I let it sit for 24 hours after rolling it with the oil and butter?

1. Metemgee April 2, 2014 at 2:21 pm

You can put it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hrs or freeze it, and defrost and cook as needed.

16. Carla April 1, 2014 at 10:21 am

Your recipe and video together seem SOOO THOROUGH!!! I’m making this tonight! Wish me luck!!

1. Metemgee April 2, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

17. Mrs. Rankin August 3, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this step by step recipe. I made this today for the first time and it came out pretty good. I still need to work on my rolling skills but I know I will get it down pat one day! : ) Again, thank you for taking the time to share all of your wonderful recipes..God bless.

1. Metemgee August 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Glad it came out great. And sorry there hasn’t been any new recipes 2014 has been a terrible and exciting year for me. I’ll share an update in a post soon.

18. Ms. Silas August 14, 2014 at 8:57 am

Your recipes are amazing! I realized that you didn’t use salt when making the dough. Should I use a little salt?

1. Metemgee September 27, 2014 at 10:04 pm

You can. My mom always did. I just try to limit salt wherever I can and since the curry always has the right amount of salt I eliminated it from my roti.

19. Melissa December 26, 2014 at 8:55 am

I made roti fro the first time using your recipe and it came out great soft and flaky. I felt like a pro and the family and friends loved it. Thank you so much!

20. Anya Allen September 19, 2015 at 1:54 pm

This is really helpful especially with the video! 👌🏻✨ I am from Russia and my husband is Guyanese 🙂 we were living in NYC so there was no problem with finding any West Indian restaurant or shop to eat all these yummy roti, doubles, aloo pies, goat curry and I can keep going lol but we moved to MD. And find a legit West Indian food is hopeless. So I def gonna make it! So happy that found your blog really helpful! Yeyyy to the yumminess! 🙂

1. Metemgee November 10, 2015 at 9:43 am

Here’s the thing about flour. It depending on how humid or how much moisture you have in the air where you live you may need less or more water. I live in Denver. It is really, really dry. I used a cup of water (as you can see in the video) and it was fine. You may need to do less. That is why in the video I pour the water in small portions. Hope this helps and thanks for trying the recipe.

21. anne January 19, 2016 at 6:24 pm

please come back!!!

1. Metemgee January 19, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Anne, thanks for the support. I have a new post coming this Sunday and a little note about what I’ve been up to.

22. nerry lennon February 1, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I second what Anne said above- we are very grateful for people like you; for all the effort, time, photos, etc. Thanks a million! I made your fudge and it came out great!

23. Toya February 5, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Your recipe is the best! Hands down! My hubby only ate roti made by his mom and since I’ve been making this (every week…pregnancy craving) he’s been tearing it up! Thank you now I make this like a pro and it’s delis! I know you said not to let it rest for more than 30 mins but one time I accidentally left it for almost an hour and 15 minutes and let me tell you it was the BOMB . COM!

1. Metemgee February 26, 2016 at 10:25 am

I think I said let it rest for at least 30 mins. Might have to recheck that. The longer you “soak” he dough the better it is. I found ghee at a local supermarket and I use that exclusively for my rotis and girl let me tell you!!! So good, so flaky.

24. Donna March 31, 2016 at 11:23 am

Can this ingredients in your recipe be doubled or will it effect the outcome of the roti?

1. Metemgee March 31, 2016 at 12:39 pm

All of the ingredients can be doubled.

1. Donna April 2, 2016 at 8:33 am

Thank you. I also read in one of the messages that hot water should be used when making the dough…do you use hot water as well?

1. Metemgee April 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

I use warm water. Not hot but above room temperature.

25. Adena February 5, 2017 at 3:29 pm

So I actually love you so much for this!!! I love roti but we never coked it in the house. We mostly bought it. I doubled my recipe but the water turned out to be too much so i had to add more of the other ingredients. I’m actually waiting for my dough before I parcel it off but I am so excited to eat this. Thanks!!

26. Pingback: About – GTP Motorsports

27. Antoinette Browne May 19, 2020 at 12:57 pm

This recipe is spot on I made it today with the curry chicken and it was perfect from start to finish, my dough was exactly like your was , I was so proud of myself and the video help a lot I really like this sight because sometimes it is much better to see someone doing it, before you try to make the dish. Great job with this website. Keep cooking girl. Thank You I will be cooking with many of your recipes during this pandemic and beyond, next one Bread

28. Pingback: Lamb Curry / Curry Lamb {Whole30, Paleo} - Metemgee