When my husband was single he would make a pan of cornbread every week as part of his single guy meal prep routine. He made a whole roasted chicken, a pan of cornbread, roasted veggies and I think rice or mac and cheese. Fast forward to us after marriage and him asking me to make cornbread. I had never made cornbread before in my life. I tried a couple of recipes and they were all terrible. I tried his recipe and it was way too sweet and not quite the way I know the best cornbreads we had in restaurants tasted. So what’s a girl to do? Come up with my own recipe of course. This recipe is tried and true. I’ve made it countless times and every time it makes amazing and delicious cornbread. The best part is it’s gluten free, so no tummy aches after indulging!
I usually start this recipe by mixing my dry ingredients together and setting them aside.
Finally, I baked it in the oven at 325 °F for 45 minutes or until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cornbread comes out clean.
Gluten Free Skillet Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup yellow corn flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 can creamed corn 15 ounces
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt only if using unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Mix cornmeal, corn flour, baking powder and salt (optional) together and set aside
- Melt butter and add sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves
- Whisk together eggs
- Add whisked eggs and creamed corn to the butter and sugar mixture
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until fully mixed together.
- Pour into a greased skillet.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
2. You can add a cup of cheddar cheese to this recipe for a cheesy cornbread. I've even added jalapeños, when I'm serving it with chili.
3. You can also pour these into muffin tins for cornbread muffins.