Today I am taking a little break from all of my Instant Pot cooking to bring you a Guyanese staple, Dhal Puri. If you’ve been following me, you know that I am doing a whole series of recipes this month, showing you how you can use your Instant Pot to make tasty Caribbean dishes quickly and efficiently. To see a list of those recipes, click here. To learn more about the Instant Pot and all that it can do click here. But I’ve been working on the dhal puri recipe and video for quite some time and wanted to share it with you so that you can make delicious dhal puri at home.

Two Types of Dhal Puri:

There are two types of Dhal Puri (In my opinion). The one my mom made at home and the ones that you bought from street vendors. My mom’s dhal puri was delicious when freshly made but somehow it got really stiff once it cooled. It was also never paper thin and as soft of the street vendor’s. Dhal puris from street vendors were paper thin and stuffed with the right amount of peas. And all they ever needed were hot mango sour! That’s the kind of dhal puri I strived to make and that’s the recipe I am sharing with you today!

The YouTube Dhal Puri Video:

Check out this youtube video first to see how I make the dhal puri and for tricks and tips!

The Dhal Puri Recipe:

4.8 from 8 reviews
Dhal Puri

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Dhal Puri is an Indian Flat bread stuffed with seasoned yellow split peas ground up into a smooth paste. It pairs perfectly with curry.
Author:
Recipe type: Flat Bread
Cuisine: Guyanese
Serves: 15 Dhal Puris
Ingredients
  • 2½ cups of yellow split peas
  • 5 cups of water (for boiling split peas)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • ½ tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon of roasted ground cumin (or geera)
  • 3 cups of all purpose flour, plus 1 cup for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon of instant or rapid rising yeast
  • 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
  • 1¼ cup of warm water
  • ½ cup of oil for cooking like canola or sunflower oil
Instructions
  1. Rinse split peas and add to a large sauce pan with 4 to 5 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt.
  2. Bring to a boil uncovered on high heat then reduce to medium heat and cook until peas are tender enough to be crushed without any graininess
  3. While peas are boiling mix the dough for the puri by combining 3 cups of flour, the yeast, baking powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl
  4. Mix together with a whisk, then form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add 1¼ cups of warm water
  5. Combine to form a smooth dough ball, kneading for about 5 minutes before setting aside to rise for 30 minutes
  6. When the peas boils to the right texture, remove from the heat, drain with a colander and rinse peas with cold water.
  7. Add peas to a food processor and process until a smooth paste forms
  8. Season split peas paste with garlic powder, onion powder and ground cumin and set aside
  9. After the dough has been resting for 30 minutes turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes then divide into 15 equal pieces
  10. Knead each piece into a smooth round ball and set aside
  11. Then take each ball, roll into a flat disk, brush with some oil, then stuff with 2-3 tablespoons of the split peas mixture
  12. Seal the dhal puri balls up by pinching the dough together, then set aside
  13. Continue to do this until all the dough balls are filled with the split peas mixture
  14. To cook the dhal puri, take a stuffed dough ball, cover it with flour, then place it on a floured surface
  15. Roll with a rolling pin dusted with flour until it is a thin flat disk
  16. Add to a tawah or flat skillet on medium to low heat
  17. Cook for about 1 minute then flip and brush with oil
  18. Immediately flip again then brush with oil
  19. Continue to cook for another minute until the dhal puri inflates and puffs up
  20. Remove from the heat and cover with a clean kitchen towel
  21. Repeat steps 14-20 until all the dhal puris have been cook
  22. Serve warm

Dhal Puri pairs well with any type of curry. Try my Instant Pot Beef Curry for a quick and easy Curry recipe.

30 Comments

1. Emr March 4, 2020 at 8:30 am

YEAST!!! I just discovered your blog today, and I’m already in love with you. My husband is guyanese, and my mil loves her dahl puri but has always struggled with it. I bet the addition of that little bit of yeast would make the dough stretchy enough that the dahl would not break through – our perennial problem when making them. Totally going to try this – thank you for sharing the recipe! Much love from canada xoxo

1. Althea Brown March 4, 2020 at 9:25 am

Welcome, Welcome. Thank you for your kind words. You are right the yeast makes the dough more stable and stretchy! Can’t wait to hear how perfect your dhal puris come out!

2. Margue April 11, 2020 at 11:59 am

Hello i leave in french guiana what kind of cup do you use please

1. Althea Brown April 11, 2020 at 12:52 pm

Hi I use a standard measuring cup but you can use google and convert the cups to grams

3. Em Mitch April 18, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Once again I accepted the challenge to make something from metemgeeblog.

Making dhal puri took alllll of my energy. My feet hurting and all but I am glad I did it because I can explain to others.

So I am not a cook and I never made this nor roti before so from a complete amateur I will say it came out so nice and soft but you can see my mistake was putting way too much peas inside.

My family laughed at me using a rolling pin (lemme tell ya I thought u had to press down so hard like if u fighting for life so the dough wrapped itself all around the rolling pin) was a session

The taste is DELICIOUS and my son ate 2 and still talking about how delicious it is.

1. Althea Brown April 18, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. It is really a labor of love but so worth it. And wow never making roti and trying Dhal Puri, you are awesome!

2. kelly May 23, 2020 at 10:42 am

you sound like a bajan lol

4. Alicia April 20, 2020 at 5:53 am

Hi, i tried making this yesterDay , my dough came out great without the yeast but its just like bread .lol with peas . Niw i came across your blog because a friend posted it on fb . Thank god for you cause im definitely trying it your way. Thank you!

1. Althea Brown April 20, 2020 at 7:10 am

Was your dough thick when stuffing with the peas? That’s generally the reason why it comes out stiff. Let me know how it comes out with my recipe. It took me years of trial to get to this point. I’m confident you will love the results.

5. Marva Elizabeth Ambrose April 27, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Lady,
    There is a peacefulness about you no wonder your food is so gooddd!
    Bless you for sharing your recipies with us!
    I made the dahl puri…..It was the best !!
    Bless you and thank you.
    Marva

1. Althea Brown April 27, 2020 at 9:28 pm

Thank you so much. Really glad you enjoyed it.

6. gigi May 4, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Omg!! So glad I found your channel tonight!! I am going to try this tomorrow!! We are home and my 2 boys and I are going to try this!! I am Haitian but Grew up around many Guyanese in Ft Lauderdale with tons of shopsto buy from!!

I love this especially since they have no Guyanese stores or restaurants near me! Thank you!!

1. Althea Brown May 4, 2020 at 9:25 pm

Can’t wait to hear how it comes out!!!

7. YASUA May 8, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Delicious recipe

1. Althea Brown May 10, 2020 at 2:10 am

8. Gem May 11, 2020 at 8:19 am

I always want to fine a good guyanese cooking chennel and I found u today .. can’t stop looking at your videos will start tying the recipe this weekend

1. Althea Brown May 11, 2020 at 6:58 pm

Yay! So glad you found me. Happy Cooking and Baking

9. Eloïse May 17, 2020 at 3:32 am

I made the dal puri today with the recipe you given, was so so GOOD, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

10. Pingback: Mango Sour - Metemgee

11. MICHELE June 5, 2020 at 8:45 am

Hello,

I TRIED YOUR RECIPE AND THEY CAME OUT PERFECT!! I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THESE 1 DAY AHEAD OF TIME AS I WOULD LIKE TO BRING THEM TO MY MOTHER IN LAWS FOR LUNCH THE NEXT DAY.. CAN YOU LET ME KNOW HOW I CAN STORE THEM AND THEN HOW THEY SHOULD BE REHEATED?

THANKS SO MUCH!

1. Althea Brown June 5, 2020 at 1:55 pm

If you’re making them one day ahead you can easily just put in a ziplock bag and keep in the fridge. To reheat, wrap them in a kitchen towel or damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds until desired warmth.

12. Pingback: Aloo Paratha (Potato Roti) - Updated - Metemgee

13. Phylicia June 19, 2020 at 7:19 pm

Hi ! Am I able to use dry yeast instead of active/instant?

14. Deon Daniels July 10, 2020 at 5:07 pm

This recipe was simple and tasty. I had a few hiccups but it still came out well. A lot of flour was needed to avoid sticking 😬. Looking forward to my next time. Thank you for sharing and showing how you do it!

1. Althea Brown July 10, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Thank you for trying. It gets better with practice.

15. shellyann July 19, 2020 at 11:37 am

Puri is one of my favorites… but never tried to make it . So I was looking for a recipe and came across yours, I must say that my first try was awesome 👌. My little food critic (my daughter) said that it taste great and I should make to sell😆, even my hubby (who isn’t a flour person) eat 2 . Thanks for sharing.😊😊

1. Althea Brown July 20, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Love this. Thanks for sharing

16. sam August 8, 2020 at 4:28 am

hello,I love your dahl puri,can you please let me have in grams who much grams of flour is 1 cup you have used
    and how much in ml of water you have in your type of one cup(but you have 1 and quarter cup.
    I know cups measurement seem to differs from country to country.
    specify.
    gm per your cup
    ML water per your cup.
    look forward to your other video.
    many thanks

17. webhosting August 11, 2020 at 9:21 am

4 stars
    Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your blog.

You have some really great articles and I think
    I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of
    the load off, I’d love to write some material for your blog in exchange
    for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested.
    Regards!