Today's post will be a bit different than my other weekly Whole30 posts! We're heading into Caribbean Whole30 Week Three and with all that's been going on in the world, I find it hard to post new recipes and a shopping list. Most supermarkets here in Denver are complete chaos. One employee at a popular supermarket chain tested positive for COVID-19. I am guessing people will probably start avoiding supermarkets all together now. Especially if they've stocked their homes with essential items. I went out last week and stocked my freezer with a few of my Whole30 staples so that I could keep going on my round but keep it simple. While out shopping I noticed people were not buying many whole food items so those items were still fully stocked in my local supermarkets.
Some Whole30 freezer and pantry staples:
- Frozen Vegetables:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Cauliflower Rice and other compliant riced veggies
- Pumpkin (great for soups)
- Butter nut squash
- Zucchini and Squash
- Cassava (Yuca). No one was buying this and it was fully stocked in my local Walmart in the international section
- Frozen Seafood: Fish and Shrimp or other seafood mixes
- Eggs: I grabbed a couple trays of eggs. There were still lots of eggs at my local supermarket at the time of this post
- Sausages and Compliant Bacon
- Canned Fish: Tuna and Salmon (I love wild caught Salmon). Use this recipe (scroll to the bottom for the salt fish recipe) for a tasty fish dish. Sub the salt fish for a can of salmon.
- Ground turkey (While chicken and beef was sold out at my local supermarket there was still lots of ground turkey). Sub chicken in this recipe and make some ground turkey fried rice.
- Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes if you can find these
- Plantains (which no one seemed to be buying
- Compliant nuts and nut butters
- Fresh herbs and other fresh veggies are still in abundance in the supermarket. Buy those and keep cooking fresh food if you can!
- Dried herbs and spices: Stock up on dried herbs and spices so that you can add different flavors to common produce for variety if needed.
Whole30 Recipes using Fresh Veggies:
Whole30 Recipes using frozen Seafood:
NEW Recipes to Try:
If you are still in an adventurous mood and want to try some of the new recipes I shared this week and can find these ingredients, see below for some inspiration. They are pretty tasty too.
Corned beef was on clearance this week in my local supermarket so I bought a few pieces and stuck them in my refrigerator since they have a long "shelf" life.
Onwards with the Caribbean Whole30
I'm still proceeding with my Caribbean Whole30 and will continue to post new recipes as I can. I will share more about what I am eating and share inspirations on instagram for those of you who are still in it. If for some reason you can't find ingredients to make a dish try putting together ingredient meals instead. For example, cooking a few sausage links or adding a few boiled eggs followed by some steam sweet potatoes or boiled cassava, and a handful of salad greens is still a pretty tasty Whole30 meal! Let's do our best to stick with it. We are half way there and I can see Day30 on the horizon!
And of course if you want more whole30 recipes click here for the full list!