Easy Paratha (Oil) Roti can be achieved with the perfect recipe! One of the first videos I posted to my youtube channel 6 years ago was a step by step tutorial for oil roti. The video (click here to watch) received over 500 thousand views and has some really good tips for roti making. Like with anything the more you do it, the better you become at it. Working with roti dough is no exception and over the past 6 years my roti making has evolved to a point where I really understand what makes or breaks a good roti, but the best tip I can give you is to start with a fail proof recipe!

Teaching my son to make roti

Teach your children to cook! Cooking is becoming a lost life skill. Teach your children (including your sons) to make basic dishes so that they can become self sufficient adults. I recently taught my 7 year old son how to make roti. He loves roti. It’s in his top 3 favorite things to eat, right next to my homemade mac and cheese and Papa John’s pepperoni pizza. So I thought, why not teach him how to make the dough? Since he’s only 7 I knew kneading the dough would be tricky and I wanted him to be successful so that he remained interested in the process. That is how this easy paratha (oil) roti recipe was created. The rotis pictured below are from the batch that my son made.

The Easy Roti Tutorial on Youtube:

Making roti shouldn’t be such a laborious task. That is why I am giving you this easy paratha (oil) roti video tutorial.  With a little guidance my son was able to complete every step with pride. I want you to feel that same sense of accomplishment. So if you’ve struggled with roti making, please give this recipe a try! And don’t forget to follow me on instagram. I’ve been sharing lots of tips there and snippets of my every day life!

The Printable Roti Recipe:

4.8 from 14 reviews
Easy Paratha (oil) Roti

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Roti is a flat bread with Indian influences. In this recipe I am sharing a non traditional way to make the roti dough that provides fail proof results every time.
Author:
Recipe type: Flat Bread
Cuisine: Guyanese
Serves: 5 roti
Ingredients
  • 3 cups of all purpose flour, plus 1 cup for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon of rapid rising yeast
  • 1¼ cup of water
  • ¼ cup of room temperature fat, like vegan butter, ghee or oil
  • ½ cup of oil for cooking, like sunflower, canola or vegetable oil
Instructions
  1. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder and rapid rising yeast
  2. Mix together with a whisk to combine
  3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the water
  4. Use a spatula to mix the water and flour together to form a soft dough ball
  5. Turn your dough ball onto a clean, floured surface and slightly knead the dough adding a little bit more flour if needed
  6. Return the dough ball to the mixing bowl, cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes
  7. After the dough has rested for at least 20 minutes, divide the dough into 5 equal pieces
  8. On a floured surface, roll a piece of dough out until it is a large, round, flat disk (like a large tortilla)
  9. Add about 1 tablespoon of fat to the rolled out dough, brush the fat over the entire surface of the rolled out dough
  10. Using a knife make an incision from the center to one end of the dough, and roll dough to form a cone
  11. Tuck the ends of the dough into the bottom of the cone and push the cone tip into the base
  12. Repeat for other 4 pieces of dough.
  13. Cover and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes
  14. Preheat a large skillet / tawah (traditional cast iron skillet for roti) on medium heat
  15. Roll out one of the buttered roti doughs (oiled off roti) into a large thin disk, about ⅛ inch thickness (like a large tortilla)
  16. Place roti on the warm skillet or tawah
  17. Cook until tiny bubbles / air pockets appear on the top of the roti (for about 30 seconds to 1 minute)
  18. Flip and brush with cooking oil and cook for about 1 minute (or for as long as it will take to apply the oil)
  19. Flip again and apply oil to the other side. Cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, then remove from heat
  20. Clap the roti (if you have those skills) or put the roti in a covered bowl and shake to separate the layers and release the air pockets (see video for how to)
  21. Serve Warm with your favorite curry

Check out my Youtube Videos:

Here are some of my recents videos that you may have missed!

80 Comments

1. Bev January 16, 2020 at 8:52 am

Hi: i made the oil roti with the yeast trick and it worked so well!! Thank you!! I now have a roti recipe that makes me look like i can make roti!! LOL!! Delicious, soft and easy to make.

1. Althea Brown January 16, 2020 at 11:34 am

That was quick. Awesome. Thank you for trying it and isn’t it so surprising how perfect it is with little effort!

2. Chandra persaud January 16, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Can i ask why You include yeast in this second version of roti? So which one is better? The old one or this new version?

1. Althea Brown January 16, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Hi. I wouldn’t say that either is better than the other. They are different but both produce a good roti. I included the yeast to help those still struggling with perfecting roti dough (even after trying my original recipe). This recipe was actually born when I was making dhal puri one day and ran out of peas and decided to make the remaining dough into rotis. Then when I was trying to teach my son how to make the dough I thought how can I make it easy for him so he doesn’t have to knead it and wait for it to rise, etc. If you’ve had luck with my previous recipe. Keep using it. It’s a great roti recipe. If you are still struggling and want a non-traditional advantage, use the yeast! Hope this helps.

1. Chandra persauD January 17, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Ok thanks. BY the way i made your fruit cake for christMas and it was Really good. Very soft and moist. I sent you a mail and a pic of it cause i tried to upload a pic on the blog but i couldN’t.

1. Althea Brown January 18, 2020 at 7:58 pm

That’s awesome and sorry about that. I don’t think the comment sections allows pics but if you are on social media please share it with me there so I can repost!

2. Naz May 10, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Hi i made your dholl puri recipe it came reallt nice i cant believe it really yummy am going to try your roti now

1. Althea Brown May 10, 2020 at 9:18 pm

That’s so great. Thanks for sharing. You’ll nail the roti!

3. Vis February 9, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Hi Althea,
    Sorry but i CANNOT understand why i can ONL write with caps. So please excuse this.
    I find that adding yeast makes PARAThAS have the texture of BREADMACHINE BLEACED FLOur texture which i do not like. The ROTIS made in the Trinidadian Roti shops in NYC taste like this too.

And just to add one last point…PARATHAS and ROTIS ARe real Hindi WORDS and PARATHAS are INDian breads not Indian influenced Bread. ALMost all the indian foods from ROTIS , CHOKHA to CURRIES are Indian, period.This is just to make sure that tribute is paid to our ancestors.
    THANK you for sharing your recipes.

1. Althea Brown February 10, 2020 at 7:49 am

Hi thanks for reaching out. I don’t find that the texture of these rotis are different than when I don’t at yeast. I’m guessing it’s because of the tiny amount of yeast that’s added but we all have different taste buds and react differently to different ingredients. Also thanks for the note about Paratha and rotis. Sometimes when writing blog posts we choose words that maybe should have been omitted in the second edit. This may be one such occasion. I say this only to assure you that I’m well aware of the origins and absolutely want to honor our ancestors. No ill-intent was meant this was simply a case of over thinking while writing.

2. Haz May 4, 2020 at 8:28 am

She’s corr, its influenced . Indian pe dont make roti this way. If you think You think your ancestors should get credit for inFluencing a changed dish , then you can go back to india and give it to them. Obviously you have some issues which need Phycological influence. Its a recipe being sHared, you should not Be on here sharing you racial issues. Get a whole of yourself woman and grow up. One life to live, stop hating on humans.

4. Asha March 28, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Sis, ThanKs so, so much for taking the time to perfect this recipe. I used it today to make roti for the first time in over a decade ( i typically buy or wait for Family to make), and this recipe produced some Soft and Delicious roti. I will definitely be trying this again.

1. Althea Brown March 28, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Thanks so much for trying my recipe and trying it.

5. Angelicque April 1, 2020 at 9:23 am

Hi I have never made Roti before until today using your recipe. It was delicious. Thank you.

1. Althea Brown April 1, 2020 at 9:43 am

Thank you for trying my recipe and for sharing.

6. Raulene April 7, 2020 at 8:40 am

I have attempted roti making a few times. I finally got it right thanks to this recipe. So easy even impatient me could do it. I call it roti making for dummies. Thanks so much. I will try to make often till they are perfected.

1. Althea Brown April 7, 2020 at 9:26 am

Thank you so much for trying the recipe and sharing.

7. Margue April 11, 2020 at 12:23 pm

Hello i don’t have that type of cup can i WEIGh the flour ?of yes how many grams ?sorry for my english i speak french or can i use a another type of cup?

1. Althea Brown April 11, 2020 at 12:52 pm

Hi. It’s 1 lb of flour or 453g

1. Margue April 12, 2020 at 12:53 pm

8. Tandieka April 18, 2020 at 10:59 am

This was a simple and helpful recipe. its been a while since ive made Roti so this was a Great reminder of the process.

9. mauriceia May 7, 2020 at 8:37 am

Hello , Thank you for this recipe. It is perfect . I never thought i would ever make roti because it seemed really difficult. But because of covid 19 i am trying out various meals. My friend’s mother sent me to your sit and it resulted in tasty soft amazing paratha . Thank you. will definitely be trying the dhalpuri recipe also . Have a great day . you have a new subscriber for sure . Stay safe.

1. Althea Brown May 7, 2020 at 9:26 am

Thank you so much for this comment and for subscribing. Yay to a great roti!!

10. Pingback: 51 International Recipes We're Tackling During Quarantine - Not For Meat Eaters

11. Pingback: 51 International Recipes We’re Tackling During Quarantine – Condé Nast Traveler – BaddiezOnline

12. Desiree May 14, 2020 at 3:32 pm

can you use. Active yeast can get rapid yeast right now sorry for the caps but that is how its typing.

1. Althea Brown May 14, 2020 at 6:18 pm

It’s ok. It types in caps but comes through fine. Skip the yeast. You don’t need it. I promise!

13. aLEX May 19, 2020 at 1:03 am

I love the BOWL TECHNIQUE TO CLAP THE HOT SUCKER ..
    thanks

14. Lollie May 19, 2020 at 10:33 pm

I was just wondering “why” you have to CLAP the Roti? Does it help make it more fluffy or something????

15. Pingback: Gluten Free Bakes - Metemgee

16. Alecia May 26, 2020 at 7:37 pm

This is my new favourite website! I tried this recipe yesterday and it turned out extremely well. I clapped the roti with a handtowel between my hands and that worked just fine too. I was second guessing myself through some of the steps but then I watched your video which was so easy to follow and I love that you showed the different ways of oiling the roti. Thank you, I made my parents so proud when i showed them the pics!

1. Althea Brown May 26, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Awesome! Yay! You did it! I would love to see pics too. If you have Facebook or instagram please share pics with me there. Facebook.com/metemgee or @metemgee on Instagram.

1. Mari June 30, 2020 at 3:53 am

Hi : I tried the oil roti but didn’t get it . The finished texture was soft more or less but with a stretchy stiff chewing gum kind of softness . Not soft and pliable . The dough when finished mixing looked as if there was an inner part and an outer protection shell . Please guide if possible. Thank you for sharing.

1. Althea Brown June 30, 2020 at 7:24 am

Hi there, couple of things. I always have to ask first if you followed the recipe directly as written. Second did you cover the dough while it was resting. Sounds like it formed a crust which will affect the final product. Additionally a stiff crest texture sounds like it wasn’t cooked enough. Let’s chat some more and I’ll help you figure it out.

1. Kendra MILNER July 3, 2020 at 11:20 am

Can you use self rising flour instead of all purpose

2. Althea Brown July 3, 2020 at 1:33 pm

I don’t recommend it. The ratio of leaving agent will be too much.

17. Mary Quarles May 31, 2020 at 8:24 pm

I don know what Ii am doing wrong but the roti is not soft and flaky it seem tought and flaky am i rolling it to thin or What . I folowed the recipe directly and I am a seasoned cook. Help? Mary

1. Althea Brown June 1, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Hi Mary. And you used regular all purpose flour? You may be rolling it out too thin. Do you have a large tawa?

18. AvtoDriveBeess June 18, 2020 at 6:13 pm

Всем добрый день !
    Наш клиент делиться опытом как он оформил для себя права на управление лодкой, если Вам хотелось-бы получить права ГИМС, обращайтесь к нашу компанию.

19. Hairstyles June 19, 2020 at 1:13 pm

You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

20. YesBet88 August 9, 2020 at 7:50 am

Love watching movies !

21. Anh August 9, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Hello Althea, thank you so much for the best roti recipe. Very tasty and super easy compared to one I used before. LOL…I gave up on that recipe after one try.
    I need to perfect my clap. It’s better than shaking in a container but it is a good substitute. Next time I will add a little salt and just enjoy them plain.

1. Althea Brown August 9, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. Glad it worked for you. A little bit of salt and a pinch of sugar is good to add next time. Makes the flavor so much better.

22. best web hosting sites August 10, 2020 at 4:51 pm

1 star
    Quality articles or reviews is the main to invite the visitors to go to see
    the site, that’s what this website is providing.

23. adreamoftrains web hosting providers August 11, 2020 at 6:16 pm

2 stars
    I for all time emailed this webpage post page to
    all my friends, because if like to read it then my friends will too.
    adreamoftrains best web hosting

24. 바카라사이트 August 16, 2020 at 9:28 pm

My plan is to test how things go without Disqus, and you should too – testing is essential to find what works for you.
    One of the problems with a lot of blog themes is that you have to scroll all of the way to the bottom of the comments to enter your comment.
    바카라사이트

25. Erich Gora August 25, 2020 at 3:54 pm

One thing I have actually noticed is the fact that there are plenty of common myths regarding the lenders intentions when talking about foreclosure. One fairy tale in particular is the fact the bank desires your house. The lender wants your money, not the home. They want the funds they lent you having interest. Averting the bank will simply draw any foreclosed summary. Thanks for your publication.

26. Kelly Grace August 28, 2020 at 10:15 am

Thanks for the read. I think your article doesn’t mention one free online tool for downloading music and videos from social media websites. Here’s a link to this online media grabber – https://bbflash.net

27. Health September 1, 2020 at 8:09 am

As I web-site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling great , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

28. Wilson Macnaught September 4, 2020 at 12:40 am

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who was conducting a little research on this. And he actually ordered me lunch simply because I discovered it for him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about this subject here on your website.

29. January Carvalho September 5, 2020 at 10:02 am

znbfzxq2k05604779s2jcw7786p2bxu5h37t3m4h81lxv4na38s1

30. Sheela S September 7, 2020 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for the read. I think you’ve skipped one free tool for showing exit-intent pop-ups. Tools like this one are typically worth $29/mo and more. Here’s a link to this free FOMO platform – https://ipicnews.com

31. sazhencevruiff September 8, 2020 at 8:53 am

Питомник саженцев был основан в 2002 году
    Наши постоянные покупатели решают с помощью наших саженцев абсолютно разные задачи – обильный и вкусный урожай, экологичность собранных плодов, озеленение участка, создание уникального ландшафта, да просто отдых от времяпрепровождения по уходу за садом. Приходите в питомник саженцев со своими целями, а мы поможем вам в их осуществлении.

[url=https://yandex.ru/collections/card/5f56b36efb53f6c8876efe81/]Качественный посадочный материал по невысокой цене, доставкой и посадкой по Москве и Московской области[/url]

32. Alexis Degenaro September 9, 2020 at 2:09 am

A membership only gives you the privilege of discounted Travel, not the travel itself. For this, FAMs continue to be 1 of the significant perks these days for brokers in the industry. Most LMS gradebooks are inaccessible from telephones.

33. Samuel Cosio September 9, 2020 at 8:56 pm

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so much, However I am going through difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anyone else getting the same RSS problems? Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

34. Taryn Deimund September 10, 2020 at 12:10 pm

What proportion of the organisation’s revenue do they give back to reps? Intelligent group leaders, generally will guide on their own, into an Interior cruise cabin. Offer visitor with snacks and (inexpensive) wine.

35. Tameka Nastasi September 12, 2020 at 6:04 am

Have someone gather your mail for you whilst you are away. Is there Legitimate contact information on the website? Think about it for a second, what kind of journey interests you most?

36. Krutiwebruiff September 12, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Многофункциональный блог независимых энтузиастов.
    Полезные советы, лучшие хитрости быта, интересные самоделки и многое другое.
    Предлагаем вам облегчить свою жизнь, воспользовавшись полезными советами на все случаи жизни!

[url=https://krutimag.site/blogsnew/13-kak-pravilno-upakovyvat-chemodan.html]Как правильно упаковывать чемодан[/url]

37. Isaias Wurl September 13, 2020 at 8:50 am

nice posting i have many times to read all of your post thanks for sharing about it.

38. FrancisTTata September 13, 2020 at 11:19 am

4 stars
    I found myself pretty pleased to uncover this page. I wanted to many thanks for your time due to this fantastic read!!
    I definitely enjoyed every amount of it and i perhaps you have book-marked to see new
    things on your website.

Here is my web blog; FrancisTTata

39. sugar daddy websites September 13, 2020 at 9:27 pm

You come up with some thoughtful points within this post, but are you overlooking something crucial?

40. Antoinette Browne September 15, 2020 at 10:59 am

Girl I made the Easy Roti recipe and it was spot on, it was so easy to follow and it was delicious, I made it three times now with my curry meat and potato, can’t go wrong with this one. Thank You for sharing this, I feel like part of your family because I am always trying a new recipe from this sight or testing out one of your version, cooking happy during this pandemic

Antoinette Browne

1. Althea Brown September 15, 2020 at 7:38 pm

That’s awesome. So glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for the love.

41. blackjack September 15, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Love to see this every day !

42. Beauty September 17, 2020 at 1:55 pm

This design is spectacular! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

43. Food September 17, 2020 at 7:29 pm

I am just commenting to make you understand what a magnificent encounter my cousin’s child developed visiting your web page. She figured out some issues, not to mention what it is like to have a very effective teaching character to let a number of people completely learn several grueling matters. You actually exceeded our own expected results. Many thanks for imparting those necessary, trusted, revealing and cool tips on the topic to Sandra.