Today I am sharing my recipe for pan cooked jerk chicken breast using my amazing homemade jerk seasoning (that also happens to be whole30 compliant). Jerk chicken is one of my favorite ways to make chicken. Typically I make it on the grill during the summer months. During the winter I make jerk chicken leg quarters in the oven. Today I made my jerk chicken breasts on the stove top. Cooked in a frying pan and ready to eat in 15 minutes.
Seasoning the Chicken breasts
Seasoning the chicken breasts is really key for this dish. I used three tablespoons of my homemade jerk seasoning per chicken breast. I cut a slit into the side of each breast and filled it with one tablespoon of jerk seasoning. Then I used two additional tablespoon of jerk seasoning to rub seasoning over the outside of the chicken breasts. I wrapped the breasts up in plastic wrap and let it marinate over night. If you don’t have that much prep ahead time, then let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Cooking the Jerk Chicken breasts on the stove top
Remove the chicken breasts from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you are ready to cook so that it can come up to room temperature. Then pan sear on medium heat before covering and letting chicken breasts cook at a reduced temperature.
Let it rest
It is important to let the chicken breasts rest (outside the pan) after cooking. This allows the juices to settle and prevents the chicken breasts from drying out. This chicken breast is perfect for salads or as a main protein for any dish. I had mine over a bed of mixed romaine, some sweet potatoes, tomatoes and baby bell peppers with a drizzle of Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic Dressing. It was a perfect mid-week, no hassle lunch. Don’t forget to check out my instagram where I am sharing delicious and nutritious recipes all March long as part of my Caribbean Whole30!
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons of Jerk Seasoning
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Season chicken breasts with jerk seasoning and let marinate over night or for at least 30 minutes
- Add oil to a medium sized frying pan or skillet on medium heat
- When oil is hot add place the marinated chicken breasts into hot oil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown
- Turn over and cook on other side until golden brown
- Then reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F
- Remove chicken from heat and let rest in a plate for 5 minutes before slicing up and serving