I love oven fresh bread but I don't bake bread often. I mostly make homemade bread when I make pepperpot, once or twice a year. So when, one of my subscribers asked for a bread recipe and wanted a whole wheat version, I was super excited to get in the kitchen. I know, I know. I must be some kind of crazy person that gets excited about baking, but, I really do.
For this recipe I made a video tutorial. As usual there is no audio, so don't adjust your volume. :-).
Printable Recipe Card
Guyanese Whole Wheat Plait Bread
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil for oiling the bowl
- Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, yeast and water in a small bowl. Mix until sugar dissolves. Let sit until yeast ferments (about 5 minutes).
- Combine milk and butter in a measuring cup. Microwave on high until butter melts. Set aside and let cool. When cool add fermented yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, remaining brown sugar and salt. Mix together. Then, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add milk and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients. Knead together to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and continue to knead for 5 to 10 minutes. Shape into a tight ball. Place in a grease bowl, cover with a damp paper towel and let sit until dough doubles in size (about 1 hour).
- After dough rises to double its size, separate into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a strip. Plait strips together. Place plaited dough into a greased loaf pan. Cover with a damp paper towel and let sit until doubles in size.
- Once dough doubles, brush with a bit of water and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. When bread is golden brown, remove from oven and brush top with butter. Remove from pan and let cool.
Great reCipe! The bread turned out really well, except... it was too salty! I think 1tbsp salt is too much for one bread. I’d probably do 2tsp next time. Thabk you for a great base recipe for whole wheat Plaid bread tHough. Will Go great with pepperpot! I made this recipe last year and revised it this year with the less salt and it was good., 10/10! Thanks again!
Althea Brown says
Oh my goodness. Thank you for pointing that out. It should be 1 teaspoon of salt but now I only use a pinch of salt in my breads so 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon is just enough. That was a total typo. I’m surprised no one else has pointed that out. So sorry about that. I’ll get that updates ASAP
Barbara benn says
Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for cassava bread.
Althea Brown says
Google Guyanese Cassava bread recipe. I saw a couple posts for it. If I ever figure out how to make it. I will certainly share!
Thank you so much Althea for this wholewheat bread recepie. I used to live in East Ruimveldt, Georgetown, Guyana so hey neighbour. Lol. While I love my white flour bread, my husband would only use whole wheat, so thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely try it out.
Althea Brown says
So glad you liked it and hey neighbor!!!
Rashema James says
Bestttt bread I ever made and ate!!! Very simple recipe as welllll. Thank you
I have a gas oven. Do you use convection or conventional feature?
Nadira Singh says
Wow!! My bread came out so soft, love it😋Great recipe! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes 😊
Natasha Simon says
I have tried this three times and just keeps getting better and better. Thank you so much this recipe. My husband thanks you as well: